Its excessive use can cause skin, eye, and other internal problems. Muriatic acid is used mostly for cleaning purposes, but it shouldn't be your first option; you should try the lighter versions priorly.
But if it's your first choice, research the safest method to use it and how to dispose of muriatic acid without harming yourself and the environment. Keep reading to know more about it.
Methods To Dispose Of Muriatic Acid
It is one of the highest corrosive acids that can be very harmful if not handled properly. So to prevent yourself from any accidents, here are some safe methods to dispose of muriatic acid.
Take Safety Measures
You are dealing with a dangerous acid, so you must be prepared. Wear safety gloves(acid resistant), prefer wearing goggles because they can harm your eyes, and a face mask because you don't want to breathe in the fumes. It's highly dangerous for your lungs.
Mix With Water To Drain It
The best way to dispose of the muriatic acid is by diluting it with water. If you drain it down directly, it will be harmful to the environment and can damage your drain pipes. Mix it with water and then drain it down. It's a safer way to dispose of muriatic acid.
While doing this method, follow some guidelines.
- The ventilation of the room in which you're doing it should be great.
- You should be covered by wearing protective clothes
- Never pour water over the acid; pour the acid onto the water.
- Drain down the mixture carefully.
- Let the water run down in the drain for a few seconds after draining down the diluted mixture.
- The container with the diluted mixture should be disposed of as well, but to do so, rinse it in water for a few minutes and then throw it away in the garbage bin.
Neutralize the muriatic acid with an alkali before disposing of it. Baking soda works great with it. It makes the muriatic acid less corrosive and less harmful. It's an environmentally friendly method to use. Some areas have strict rules for the people who use muriatic acid to dispose of it by neutralizing it with a suitable alkali.
Follow some guidelines
- Do this process in a well-ventilated area
- Your clothing should be protective
- One gallon of water and 2 cups of baking soda work great together, then slowly add muriatic acid.
- Always use a glass container.
- Wait for the fizzing to stop; it means the acid is neutralized, then drain it down.
- Rinse the container for a few minutes and throw it away
There are several hazardous waste recycling centers. They can help you with that. If you don't want to dispose of the acid, you can take it to the nearest center and ask them to help you. They will charge you a nominal fee, but don't worry; it will save you from the effort.
Into The Pool
If the quantity of muriatic acid isn't so much, you can throw the remaining muriatic acid into the pool. It is used to balance the ph level of the pool. If the chlorine is too extra in the pool, you can add some muriatic acid to it. It will help you balance its level.
Washing Down The Concrete
If you have extra muriatic acid, you can use it to wash out the concrete on walls and other surfaces. To do that
- Mix the muriatic acid in water
- Use a sponge to apply it on the concrete and scrub it
- After a few minutes, wash it out
Best Toilet Cleaner
Muriatic acid is one of the best substances to clean toilets. But there's a proper way to use it.
- Wear safety gloves
- Neutralize the acid
- Apply the neutralized mixture onto the toilet seat
- Let it stay there for almost an hour
- Flush the toilet
- All the unnecessary stains will be gone
Clean The Pool Filters.
Using muriatic acid for different things is better than throwing it away. It is a very useful chemical and is very versatile. The pool filter cartridges can be cleaned by it.
- Take the cartridges out of the pool
- Mix the acid with water
- Put the cartridges in the mixture for a few minutes
- Take them out and wipe them with a towel
- The pool filters will be cleaned as new
Some Other Uses Of Muriatic Acid
It can be used for many purposes, and instead of throwing it, you can use it for something else.
Clean And Maintain Your Basements
- Ventilate the area as much as you can
- Mix the acid with water
- Use a sponge to scrub down the mold by dipping it in the diluted mixture
- Dry the area as much as you can
You can easily remove rust from your metal objects using muriatic acid.
- Make an acid/water-diluted mixture
- Brush the rust with this mixture
- Neutralize the muriatic acid with baking soda
- Apply it on the rusty surface
- Let it stay for a few minutes, and then remove it
Muriatic acids are very useful and versatile. It's important to store them in a cool and dry place in an airtight container or bottle. A little negligence can cause you huge harm. Many hazardous waste recycling centers help people to recycle dangerous products.
So there's no better place to go if you don't want to dispose of it yourself. But make sure the container is airtight during transportation. We hope the information was helpful to you. Don't forget to share your experience with us.